Friday, December 07, 2012

My First Post from VIM

Today this is my first post from inside VIM and my Ubu CLI! I have been wanting to for a long, long time to get away from web pages for daily thing (the irony of it since that's what I do for a living ha ha) and all the load time and get to doing more and more thing's inside VIM. Well today I finally did it!

I'm now posting to my blog from inside VIM by using GoogleCLI tools freely downloadable to post with and using a simple little bash script.

So we will see how it work's but I have tested a few times and it's working so it seems.

In case no one has noticed yet I LOVE VIM and the Linux CLI! I try to do everything I can think of from it, Mutt for email, VIM for programming now instead of Geany.

I even went 5 days ago and setup a Plex Media Server to serve my huge 10 year long DVD collection. I'm tired of having a DVD case in my living room and looking ugly. All my TV's for my house and the ministry have Roku's and I am tired of friends in the ministry that are on the same network as me borrowing DVD's and bringing them back scratched ha ha.

So I've gone the next step and setup an Ubu 12 server with Plex as a Media server completely. I currently have 3 computers converting 4 DVD's at all times during every day, I currently have 101 DVD's done. Should be done converting by the end of next week.

This is awesome since it allows me to share everything I have in the way of DVD's with everyone here in the Ministry who has a Roky or Media box. I am also going to sell my entire collection of DVD's and the wood case to store them in, this sale will come out to about $130 in the end which will pretty much pay for the Media server.

Now, no more scratched movies, no more people asking me to borrow them!

I will post again on this in a couple weeks when I get the new hardware that I ordered for this specific purpose, right now I'm just using an old AMD system I had laying around as the server.

But I am loving more and more using CLI and VIM. Makes life so much easier than anything else. Thought I would post just to test out the brand new posting features to see how it works ha ha.

No comments: